PBS Marks Historical Feat with Virtual 55th Annual Membership Meeting
MANILA, PHILIPPINES; June 13, 2020 – Philippine Bible Society (PBS) welcomed the new set of elected Board of Trustees during the first ever virtual 55th Annual Membership Meeting (AMM)! The 2020 Board of Trustees elected via online voting, a first in the PBS’ 120-year history, were Rev. Fr. Oscar A. Alunday, S.V.D., the Director of the John Paul 1 Regional Biblical Center (JPIBC) for Northern Luzon and the Cordillera. Fr. Alunday joined the board representing the Roman Catholic Church. Also joining the roster for the first time were the following: Rev. Irma M. Balaba, Administrative Pastor of the United Church of Christ in the Philippines (UCCP) Faith Bible Church and Mr. Jon Dave A. Angeles, an Underwriting Supervisor at Snapcash Lending, Inc. representing the National Council of Churches in the Philippines (NCCP); and Mr. Jonathan Joseph M. Peralta, immediate past Senior Vice President of the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC), representing the Independent Churches.
Meanwhile, PBS members have re-elected Ms. Lissa Belle R. Brown, Chairperson for the Youth and Young Adults Committee of the World Methodist Council to represent the National Council of Churches in the Philippines; and Atty. Jose P. Villanueva, Founder and Chairman of the Shekinah Christian Unity Foundation, to represent the Independent Churches.
The six new trustees are part of an 18-person board, which is the highest governing body of the PBS. The Board of Trustees render their service to the Bible ministry pro bono. Completing the board are the following members and their affiliations:
- Augusto A. Arguelles, President, Institute for Pastoral Development (IPD)
- Reynaldo R. Avante, General Director, Conservative Baptist Association of the Philippines (CBAP)
- Elder Rufino D. Dela Rosa, Chairman of the Board of Elders, Plaridel Bible Church
- Timoteo D. Gener, President, Asian Theological Seminary (ATS)
- Karlo D. Lara, Founder and Program Director, Lakbay Biblia Catholic Bible Course
- Dr. Gloria Lita D. Mapangdol, Dean, St. Andrew’s Theological Seminary
- Most Rev. Broderick S. Pabillo, D.D., Apostolic Administrator, Archdiocese of Manila
- Bishop Cesar Vicente P. Punzalan III, Presiding Bishop, Hope Christian Fellowship Churches in the Philippines
- Ramon C. Realizan, Board of Trustee, Episcopal Commission on the Biblical Apostolate
- Albert S. Tanlimco, President, AMTES Corporation
- Florencia G. Tarriela, Chairman, Philippine National Bank
- Justice Raoul V. Victorino (), Immediate Past Chairman, National Council of Churches in the Philippines (NCCP)
The new set of trustees selected their new officers during the Board Organizational Meeting following the election. The virtual oath-taking was led by Bishop Daniel C. Arichea. These new officers comprised the Executive Committee, which is composed of the following:
President/Chairman: Most Rev. Broderick S. Pabillo, D.D.
Vice-President/Vice-Chairman: Mr. Albert S. Tanlimco
Corporate Secretary: Ms. Lissa Belle R. Brown
Executive Committee Members: Bishop Cesar Vicente P. Punzalan III and Mrs. Florencia G. Tarriela
The PBS conducted the proceedings of the AMM through its first ever virtual gathering (via Zoom). The AMM was a celebration of what PBS and its faithful partners accomplished together, by God’s grace, and a thanksgiving for what the Lord will do in succeeding years. The event was graced by the Director General of the United Bible Societies (UBS), Mr. Michael Perreau, and UBS Chair/CEO of the Scottish Bible Society, Ms. Elaine Duncan, and participated in by several trustees. Mr. Reuben Laurente, multi-awarded singer, songwriter, and theater performer, rendered a special song.
The PBS is registered with the Philippine Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on September 26, 2016 as a non-stock, not-for-profit corporation. Its primary purpose is to encourage wider circulation of the Holy Scriptures. PBS serves as the representative in the Philippines of the world fellowship of the United Bible Societies (UBS), a global fellowship of 148 national Bible Societies and affiliate Bible Societies operating in 244 countries and territories, and is the local expression of the UBS. Its vision is to see a Transformed Filipino people through God’s Word – people whose lives are transformed resulting in national righteousness, economic sufficiency, social peace, public justice, and God-fearing citizenry; and its mission is to Make the Bible Known through translations that are faithful to the Scripture texts in the original languages, through media and formats that meet the needs of people, and through affordable prices.