God’s Word contains a message so beautiful, true, and powerful that it can become life-changing for anyone who gets to read it. To this day, wherever you are in the world, the Bible remains relevant and timely. And when heeded and obeyed, it can change a nation for the better.
The Philippine Bible Society (PBS) has endeavored to introduce people to the Bible’s transforming power through all means possible. One such means is the celebration of the National Bible Month (NBM) which is currently backed up by incumbent President Rodrigo Duterte’s Presidential Proclamation No. 124.
Every year since 1982, people from all over the Philippines celebrate and commemorate the importance of the Bible in nation-building. Churches come together through parades, motorcades, and rallies as they proclaim the yearly themes of the NBM celebration. Sermons and homilies focus on the Bible’s role in changing the people’s lives during National Bible Sunday. People distribute Scripture materials and tracts along the streets and other public places, while others put up streamers and posters to call extra attention to the month’s festivities.
Celebrating the NBM reminds the Filipino people of the primacy of God’s Word over their lives and decisions. If we want to see true development and lasting change in our lives as a people and as a country, then we need to follow the Word’s statutes and obey its precepts. Truly, what the world needs now is God’s Word – the Bible!
National Bible Month 2020 Scripture references
How wonderful it is, how pleasant, for God’s people to live together in harmony!
For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, slaves or free persons, and we were all given to drink of one Spirit.
#2020 Vision: The Bible Transforms and Unites the Nation
A year of clarity to further intensify our initiatives in making the Bible known.
Driven by God’s Word which transforms and unites our countrymen, no matter what area, region, or zone.
Throughout 2020, may the Lord our God be honored and glorified!
“The theme gives us clarity that the Bible becomes the base of a nation – the nation’s heart. The year ahead may have many challenges but the Bible is our basis and guide. The Bible is what will unite us in times of change and in our journey of growing together. We can’t see total transformation in a year. But we can’t lose that clarity or clearness and continuity of vision to work towards a nation transformed by the Bible, united by God’s Word.”
– Dr. Nora G. Lucero (PBS General Secretary)
Clarity | a poem for NBM 2020
The closer we get to this new year
Our eyes widen with revelation
And things have never been more clear
We envision a transformed Filipino people
A change of heart for every individual
All else fades away
When we remember that the Lord has no equal
So we approach the year 2020
With hearts full of joy
And spirits so ready
Our worldly desires blur
And our eyes focus on the One
Who keeps us safe, secure, and steady
Together we will work
To make the Bible known
For God our heavenly Father
Deserves all the glory and praise
Offered at the foot of his throne
10 Ways to Celebrate NBM
1. LOBBY | to institutionalize the National Bible Month in your city, municipality, barangay, or school
2. DISPLAY | National Bible Month posters, streamers, and tarpaulins in places like your school campus, your workplace bulletin boards, and your church’s announcements corner
3. BECOME | a PBS Bible Ambassador to know the latest NBM initiatives you can be a part of
4. CONDUCT | a National Bible Month parade, motorcade, or Bible rally
5. STAGE | Bible quizzes, poster-making competitions, and essay-writing contests
6. STAGE |creative ways to showcase Bible knowledge like theatre performances, special dance numbers, and concerts
7. CONDUCT | fun sports events like running marathons, group zumba or jogging, and physical fitness-spiritual wellness talks
8. LAUNCH | a Bible distribution program
9. CONDUCT | an i-Proclaim activity (public Bible reading)
10. HOLD | a special National Bible Month celebration
These are just ten (10) of the most basic ways for one to celebrate the National Bible Month (NBM). But we encourage you to get even more creative!
If you would still like to know more about any of these ten (10) suggestions, please feel free to connect with us. Kindly send us your NBM email inquiries as early as possible with the subject “NBM INQUIRY – [FIRST AND LAST NAME]” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bible Reading guides