National Bible Week 2007 Log
- Press Conference at Club Filipino, Greenhills, San Juan, participated in by former Senate President Jovito Salonga, former DILG Secretary and National Prayer Breakfast Foundation President Joey Lina, PCEC Chairman Bishop Fred Magbanua, PCEC Vice Chairman Bishop Cesar Punzalan III, Caloocan Bishop Deogracias Iñiguez, and Archdiocese of Manila Biblical Apostolate (AMBA) Director Fr. Tony Navarrete. Along with General Secretary Nora Lucero, the panel of speakers spoke on the importance and relevance of the Bible and its lessons on justice and right living.
- Launching of the “Sino Ang Dapat Iboto sa Halalan 2007” Bible tract, which aims to help the voting public choose who to elect into office. The tract outlines ten (10) traits of a righteous leader, all taken from the Bible and includes practical tips and reminders for voters.
- Several major dailies ran a story on the launching of the Bible Week and our election tract. Aside from enumerating the contents of the material, the Philippine Daily Inquirer also clarified that the tract was not political, but a mere effort to help educate the electorate. The Manila Bulletin, meanwhile, gave more details on the press conference and quoted most of the panel of speakers.
- Kick-Off Activity at the Cuneta Astrodome, Pasay City, which was led by the Archdiocese of Manila. Local officials, led by Mayor Allan Panaligan and Vice Mayor Arvin Tolentino, and Representative Consuelo Dy, graced the whole-day affair. The Basic Ecclesial Community Youth Bible, which was initially launched in Davao City last August, was also introduced in the Archdiocese.
- Public Relations Officer Hazel Alviz was interviewed by Miss Maloi Malibiran Salumbides in the program,“Masayang Tahanan,” heard at 12nn over 702 DZAS.
- Bible Reading/Presentation at Various Flag Raising Ceremonies, participated in by PBS officials and staff at the following locations:
– Bacolod City – Pasay City
– Mandaluyong City – Quezon City
– Malabon City – San Juan, MM
– Muntinlupa City – Tagbilaran City
– Ormoc City – Valenzuela City
– Parañaque City
General Secretary Nora Lucero guest at ANC’s Talkback with Tina Palma, where she was able to expound on our Bible tract on the elections and announce activities for the National Bible Week celebrations. Also on the show were PBS Board Member and PPCRV Chair Ambassador Henrietta De Villa, NAMFREL Chair Jose Concepcion, and COMELEC Chair Benjamin Abalos
- General Secretary Nora Lucero appeared on “The Door,” a program aired over the Divine Mercy Channel and is hosted by Sister Ruby Tan. Along with Honorary Translation Consultant Bishop Daniel Arichea, Jr., Mrs. Lucero enlightened viewers on the Bible, PBS and the Bible Ministry, and the National Bible Week. Our election tract was also discussed in detail during the one-hour show.
- General Secretary Nora Lucero guested at Mike Enriquez’s Saksi! sa Dobol B over DZBB. In this program, she was able to talk about the National Bible Week, PBS, and out election tract. More importantly, she was able to share, over national radio, the relevance of the Bible in our present time.
Supreme Court Chief Justice Reynato Puno accepts the copy of the Bible presented by the PBS delegation led by former General Secretary Dr. Medarlo Rivera (third from right).
Courtesy Call and Bible Presentation to Supreme Court Chief Justice Reynato Puno, led by former General Secretary Dr. Medarlo Rivera and Associate General Secretary Vilma Salvio. Also in the meeting were Judicial and Bar Council Member Justice Raoul Victorino, PBS Board Members Atty. Robinson Landicho, Atty. Edith Santos, and Mr. Dante Lanorio. Communications and Development Manager Juliet Jimeno and Program Coordinator Nestor Reyes were also there during the event. Chief Justice Puno offered to help in our future Bible presentation activities for newly appointed members of the judiciary. He also expressed his desire for “all the judges in the Philippines be provided a copy of the Bible.” “The Bible contains all the laws that we need. ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind,’ (TEV) is the basis of all human laws,” he said, after accepting the Tagalog-English Diglot Bible presented by PBS.
- First day of the Bible Appreciation Seminar at PBS BibleHouse, United Nations Avenue, Manila, where Dr. Annie del Corro discussed “PBS Bible and the King James Version,” Bishop Arichea talked about the “Bible Interpretation and Translation,” and Rev. Edgar Ebojo tackled “How the Bible Got To Us.”
- Dr. Rivera’s interview appeared on a news report on GMA Network’s 24 Oras, which revolved around our Biblical tract on the election.
- Last day of the Bible Appreciation Seminar at PBS BibleHouse, United Nations Avenue, Manila. Dr. Del Corro handled “Language and Bible Translation,” while Bishop Arichea discussed “Revisiting the Concept of the Promised Land,” and Rev. Ebojo explained “The Bible in Tagalog.”
- Motorcade at Cebu City, marking the city’s first ever celebration of the Bible Week. Metro Cebu Ministerial Fellowship Chairman Pastor Joey Equia spoke on the Bible’s importance as the standard of justice and right living, during a program that was held at the pier before the arrival of the M/V Doulos.
- Former General Secretary Dr. Medarlo Rivera, General Secretary Nora Lucero, and Communications and Development Manager Juliet Jimeno presented Bibles to the 2007-2008 Officers and Trustees of the Regional Trial Court Judges of Manila, led by their president, Judge Marino Dela Cruz, Jr. The Bible Presentation was held during their induction ceremony at The Manila Hotel, where Chief Justice Reynato Puno was the inducting officer.
- In Bacolod City, a Bible Quiz was conducted by the Office of the Vice Mayor at the local Robinsons Place. Vice Mayor Atty. Renecito Novero will give cash prizes while PBS partnered to provide Bibles as prizes too.
- Silliman University, in Dumaguete City, rendered a marathon reading of the Old & New Testament at the school campus. This was done in coordination with the ministerial fellowship of Dumaguete City and PBS Cebu.
- FEBC President and “Tawag ng Karunungan” host Dan Andrew Cura interviewed Dr. Rivera during the 10 o’clock show aired over 702 DZAS. Miss Alviz was also interviewed by Miss LJ Salceda on her 11:30 show “Pinoy Espesyal,” also heard over DZAS.
- The Biblia Fiesta, the culminating activity for the NBW ’07 celebrations, included activities like the United Methodist Church (UMC) National Bible Quiz Finals; an Art Workshop; Livelihood Seminars; a Health Clinic on Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder; a Bible Clinic with Bishop Daniel Arichea, Jr., Dr. Annie Del Corro, and Rev. Noli Mendoza; Youth Forums, led by Rev. Ed Lapiz of Day By Day Christian Ministries and DJ Jordan Escusa. The activity was capped off by the Rock the WORD Concert, featuring Paolo Santos, Pido Lalimarmo, Rueben Laurente, Brenan Espartinez, Musicians on Fire, Panacea, and R.O.C.K. At least 1,000 individuals from various churches and denominations attended the whole-day affair at the Bulwagan ng Panginoon (Folk Arts Theater) in Pasay City.